Sniffing the CAN-BUS with the SuperSniffer Software v1.xx

Sniffing the CAN-BUS with the SuperSniffer Software v1.xx

Postby MartinViljoen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 pm

CAN-BUS-TOOL.zip

SuperSnifferSource code.zip

Notice: I will no longer be updating the CAN-BUS SuperSniffer Tool, therefore Ive attached the source code for to change as you please.
I haven't put much thought into the SuperSniffer, the code is messy and not properly structured , plans are start from scratch a newer development studio such as VB.NET

I developed a software tool to sniff the can-bus using the CAN-BUS Sniffer hardware which you can build using a CAN-BUS Shield and Arduino UNO.
To build this see this thread http://techtinker.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15

If you are not using a SeeedStudio CAN-BUS Shield, you are on your own as far as the Arduino code goes but, you can still use the software, all you need to do it let the Arduino print
the data to the serial ports in the following format.

Something like this
Code: Select all
Serial.print(<ID,BIT1,BIT2,BIT3,BIT4,BIT5,BIT6,BIT7,BIT8> );
The Serial port has to be set to baud rate 38400

See the video demonstration.

http://youtu.be/o9IxizBdNBc

And a quick guide on how it works.
1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

The SuperSniffer Software is attached with this thread. also the Arduino code can be found here http://techtinker.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15 as mentioned before.
I have also embedded the Arduino Code into one of the "Arduino Sketch" menu in the Super Sniffer application.

Important!!!! - This software will NOT work if you don't have the Microsoft VisualBasic6 Run-times installed, you can download it from Microsoft's website.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019

[EDIT] - 2014/10/15 - Added new features.
a Junk filter has been added to take out junk information, the speed at which the application run and the speed of the incoming data is not properly buffered, and sometimes
causes strange messages I.E <0> <0,0> <0,0,0,0,> <<00, ect ect , most of them should not appear anymore but unfortunately sometimes Junk messages look like valid ones, but they are relatively easy to spot because their message count should stay zero and not add up before the screen sweep happens.
You can now find a message in the list by pressing CTRL+F and a search box will appear.
A Message "Change Counter" has been added so that you have an indication of how many times it changed an not only how many time the ID was found.
You can now also automatically set a message to drop off the list when it reached a certain limit the default is set to a "Safe high" of a 1000 counts but you should change it to your need.
I.E The "Drop Off" Limit is handy to take out messages that aggressively change when there is no human interaction with the vehicle ,Like the vehicle's Time Counter.
Its purpose is to be used like this.
Start the application then connect to the comport and let the system run an monitor for a while without interacting by pressing buttons or opening doors, then after a while set the "Drop Off Limit" lower to ,I.E 100 depending on how long you let it run, after a short while the very active changing messages with a count higher than the "Drop Off Limit" will start to disappear , you can then press buttons and watch for "Data change" lines.

Next I will add the ability to save the named CAN-ID Nodes of each message ID so that it loads up and recognize nodes automatically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MartinViljoen

Re: Sniffing the CAN-BUS with the SuperSniffer Software

Postby JoeyVinc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Martin,

during start of the tool there is a message that the MSCOMM32.OCX or one of them dependencies is missing. Do you have any idea how I can get this file and how to register it?

EDIT:
'Found a solution:
1. download MSCOMM32.OCX from the web.
2. copy it into c:\windows\system32 and - in case of Windows 64bit - into c:\windows\syswow64
3. run as administrator: cmd.exe
4. run "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx"

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards - JoeyVinc
JoeyVinc

Postby MartinViljoen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 pm

Yep, that should do it. By default newer MS Operating Systems don't include the VB6 Runtimes, Thats why you need to download it from Microsoft's website
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10019

The package includes the mscomm control amongst a few other ActiveX controls, but your way will also work, Sometimes people infect dll's then upload them for people to use so its always best to download these from Microsoft's website.

Glad you came right though :mrgreen:
MartinViljoen

Postby capu81 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi, i've tried with this solution (from Martin's Jeep JK CAN-BUS Hacking Playground) but i receive the same messages when can is off and on! I've attached can+ and can- wires to audio unit CAN and with CanUSB i can read messages but with Can Shield i can't receive any useful data (my speed is 100 kbit). I see that no rx/tx led blink on the shield when connect to car. I think my shiel is broken, or not?

thanks

Ilario
capu81

Postby MartinViljoen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:05 am

capu81 wrote:Hi, i've tried with this solution (from Martin's Jeep JK CAN-BUS Hacking Playground) but i receive the same messages when can is off and on! I've attached can+ and can- wires to audio unit CAN and with CanUSB i can read messages but with Can Shield i can't receive any useful data (my speed is 100 kbit). I see that no rx/tx led blink on the shield when connect to car. I think my shiel is broken, or not?

thanks

Ilario

Hi I highly doubt your shield is broken, CAN-BUS chips are quite tough.
Do you have the seeed studio version ?, I notices the DB9 connector rest against the USB port of the UNO, make sure they are not touching
MartinViljoen

Postby capu81 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I've this shield
http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/CAN-BUS_Shield

I've seen that the USB port of the UNO and the DB9 connector touching and i've protect the USB port but with the same result :cry:
capu81

Postby MartinViljoen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Thats the exact shield i'm using.
Ive also been talking to someone else who also said they are not able to read data, which i cant understand. :(

Which Car are you connecting it to ?
Do you have the model name of the Car Radio and maybe a photo of the back ?

[EDIT] If we are able to get yours to work I might also help someone else.
MartinViljoen

Postby capu81 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm

I've a Volkswagen Golf 6. CAN Confort speed is 100 kbit. I post a image of the radio connector and a DB9 connector i've soldered for shield.

DB9 wire is:
- black --> ground
- red --> +12v
- yellow --> canH
- green --> canL

I've tried with the green connector only with canH and canL but doesn't work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capu81

Postby MartinViljoen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 am

Thank you Capu.

Could you try and power the Arduino only with USB via a laptop instead of the using the power on the DB9 connector.
(I'm taking a long shot) thats how I'm doing it I only have 2 wires running from the Shield to the radio and is powering it from my laptop.

I'm going to try and get in touch with the people from SEEEDStudio.
MartinViljoen

Postby capu81 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:24 am

I've tried but with same result. Today i try to make a little video of the situation
capu81

Next

Return to OBD2 & CAN-BUS Projects