noob can bus hacker

noob can bus hacker

Postby kingr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered the forum from viewing Martin's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgLYiKRDkw video on Youtube.

I'm a web developer by day and a new electronics hacker at night. I'm excited to build stuff for my car and have sourced some hardware to do CAN BUS hacking.

I'm here to learn and share my experiences.

I live in JHB.
kingr

Re: noob can bus hacker

Postby MartinViljoen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:45 am

kingr wrote:Hi Guys,

I've just discovered the forum from viewing Martin's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgLYiKRDkw video on Youtube.

I'm a web developer by day and a new electronics hacker at night. I'm excited to build stuff for my car and have sourced some hardware to do CAN BUS hacking.

I'm here to learn and share my experiences.

I live in JHB.

Hi welcome, thanks for joining!
You have probably noticed things are still a bit quiet around here, but hopefully soon conversations will pick up.
Cheers

Martin
MartinViljoen

Postby kingr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:52 am

I have noticed it's quiet , but that's fine momentum will pickup eventually.

I will create another thread about my hardware and can bus questions.
kingr

Postby Shell » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 pm

Is CAN bus standard among vehicle manufacturers, or do they use different protocols? I assume that, with the CAN bus sniffer project, it would be fairly easy to learn the protocol of any vehicle? My interest is currently mainly VW, as I have 2 of them, both running CAN bus. And I need to get my cruise control working.....
Shell

Postby MartinViljoen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Shell wrote:Is CAN bus standard among vehicle manufacturers, or do they use different protocols? I assume that, with the CAN bus sniffer project, it would be fairly easy to learn the protocol of any vehicle? My interest is currently mainly VW, as I have 2 of them, both running CAN bus. And I need to get my cruise control working.....

Hi Shell, Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining,I think its safe to say that CAN-BUS is standard across the board, Different Vehicles use different OBD2 type protocols though to query the CAN-BUS. In some of the projects here you will see that you can talk directly to the CAN-BUS basically bypassing OBD2
MartinViljoen

Postby JacquesJNel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 am

MartinViljoen wrote:
Shell wrote:Is CAN bus standard among vehicle manufacturers, or do they use different protocols? I assume that, with the CAN bus sniffer project, it would be fairly easy to learn the protocol of any vehicle? My interest is currently mainly VW, as I have 2 of them, both running CAN bus. And I need to get my cruise control working.....

Hi Shell, Welcome to the forum, thanks for joining,I think its safe to say that CAN-BUS is standard across the board, Different Vehicles use different OBD2 type protocols though to query the CAN-BUS. In some of the projects here you will see that you can talk directly to the CAN-BUS basically bypassing OBD2

How would one go about hacking the vehicle CAN BUS through the OBD connector on the vehicle?

I have tried getting info off my 2016 Chev utility through the OBD plug but nothing happens. When I plug the arduino and canbus shield to the car the Tx and Rx led's go crazy but cant seem to get any can bus packages to show up on my laptop?? (I used arduino and the super sniffer with the sketch on the super sniffer loaded to the arduino)

I even tried checking on the arduino monitor and using putTTY, but nothing is coming
JacquesJNel

Return to General Chat