Arduino - can bus shield - bluetooth shield- android

Arduino - can bus shield - bluetooth shield- android

Postby likeADrug » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:45 am

Hi,

So I've had an idea for a project and just want to get an idea from the community as to if it is possible. I'm new to the Arduino and Android apps, but have 3+ of years java programming experience, also some python, C+ and Linux experience and about 15 years auto experience, mostly mechanical although I've never gone further than reading data via an elm327 adapter.

I plan on giving this a go - http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-yo ... d-Seeed-C/

If all goes well and I manage to send messages to the CAN BUS, what I'd like to be able to do is send them from an android device so I could turn on the lights, open and unlock the doors, open windows etc from the android.

I've seen android apps that will turn on LED lights connected to an Arduino via Bluetooth - so it should be possible, right ? Will the CAN BUS shield and Bluetooth shield work together in harmony ?

Appreciate any feedback!
likeADrug

Re: Arduino - can bus shield - bluetooth shield- android

Postby MartinViljoen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 pm

Hi in the the mentioned intractable link you posted , is where I used the can-bus shield in combination with an arduino UNO, the only reason I did that was because it was easier to use the same setup to sniff and send data reliably, because the can-bus shield has a better buffer and does not easily get over run.

But when sending data you don't worry about that because you are simply sending and don't have to deal with incoming data.

You can also use an elm327 with a Bluetooth chip already embedded on the board, ( I have not yet dried this but see no reason for it not to work)

You get 3 different elm327 packaged into an enclosure, wired with USB, Bluetooth, or wifi.
And all of them are as cheap as chips. The can us shield is expensive on its own then you still have to buy an arduino and also maybe an enclosure,

So for what you want to do I think the wifi will be the best option , I think you connect to it via ssh and then send commands as simple as that then you only have to focus on coding and not the electronics.

But having that said, in order to find the can bus messages to turn on and off accessories you need to do a bit of sniffing, and that's where the can bus shield is better, the elm327 can't sniff it's got a real crappy data buffer and over runs in seconds if not split seconds.

Just a tip which caught me a bit, elm327 chips are usually set to the baud speed of various obd2 standards, in my case to 500kbps, you might need to manually set it by reading the elm327 manual downloadable from the Internet.
MartinViljoen

Postby likeADrug » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:34 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the Arduino and the Can Bus shield already, so thats done, lol! As you say it will be easier to sniff with them anyway so I don't mind.

I already have a bluetooth eml327, a very cheap one I bought on ebay. (about $20) From researching though I was lead to believe that I wouldn't be able to use this to send commands, just read data. Is this correct ? I have seen some very expensive wifi elm327s (around $100) that claim to be able to send data to the CAN. So I am a bit confused as to what a cheap ELM327 can actually do.

Does sending commands to the CAN from an android device via the Arduino sound like a long winded way of doing what I want to do ?
likeADrug

Postby MartinViljoen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:48 pm

likeADrug wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the Arduino and the Can Bus shield already, so thats done, lol! As you say it will be easier to sniff with them anyway so I don't mind.

I already have a bluetooth eml327, a very cheap one I bought on ebay. (about $20) From researching though I was lead to believe that I wouldn't be able to use this to send commands, just read data. Is this correct ? I have seen some very expensive wifi elm327s (around $100) that claim to be able to send data to the CAN. So I am a bit confused as to what a cheap ELM327 can actually do.

Does sending commands to the CAN from an android device via the Arduino sound like a long winded way of doing what I want to do ?

All ELMs can send data , they have to otherwise the computer box wont know what kind of data you want to monitor.

you send messages with SH, Example atsh 10 11 11 11 ect
MartinViljoen

Return to OBD2 & CAN-BUS Projects